In order that Ukraine NOT return to another pro-Russian Yanukovych, its important that its own political leadership get its house in order.
Let me outline five containment points for success.
1. The Ukrainian President Viktor Yankovych’s removal from office will remain a partial victory, for his entire political architecture remains. The leadership of Arseny Yatsenyuk, Vitalty Klitchko and Oleh Tyahnybok must embody the highest ethical ideals in this intense transitionary period. The Maidan Civil Council must get governing bureaucracies running quickly. Any rush to form elections will end in disaster.
2. Putin must be put on notice that Ukraine will fight to the end with U.S. The E.U., NATO member states and the I.M.F. need to strengthen Ukrainian economy as an export led regime helped along with fiscal, monetary transfers.
3. To avoid having a standoff between the U.S. and Russia, it is vital that Ukraine be given the opportunity to unify itself. No government policy can solve having a superior enemy on a northern border, empty coffers & ethnic tension. All three can only be dealt with synoptically.
4. The E.U., Poland, & Germany must make public reversal of statements made by Sikorski and Walter. Putin must know that he cannot use proxies.
5. Make Ukraine a N.A.T.O. member today and push back on Putin. Russia is engulfed in falling demography, a rising Islamic insurgency gaining domestic ascendancy and imminent failure of sovereign debt tied to collapsing oil/natural gas sector.